The Power that Comes with Meditating in God's Word
In the night I lay awake feeling troubled about life -- about the state of the nation, the church and the world. I purposely began thinking on the words of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30, turning those words over and over in my mind and even whispering them aloud. Suddenly, my soul was in a state of complete Rest and Peace and I went off into a deep and restful sleep. Hallelujah!! The words of Jesus that brought Rest and Peace to my soul were these;
Come to Me , all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I
will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle
and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy
and My burden is light.
Now, it is interesting to note that the word "meditate" in
Scripture does not refer to an emptying out or blanking out of your mind. That is
an Eastern and New Age approach to meditation. The Hebrew word for “meditation
is hagah and it means “to ponder” and “to mutter” and “to go over a
matter in one’s mind.”
There are many promises in Scripture to those who
meditate in God’s word. Consider Joshua 1:9, which reads, This Book of the
Law shall not depart from your mouth but you shall meditate in it day and night
. . . then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have good
success. Psalm 1:1-2 says, Blessed is the man . . . whose delight is in
the law of the LORD and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall
be like a tree planted by the rivers or water and whatever he does shall prosper.
I can’t tell you how important this has been to me
personally. I remember lying on a gurney in the ER waiting to find out why my
urine flow had become completely blocked.
As I lay there, I began meditating—thinking on and muttering—God’s word. I
particularly began thinking about His attributes such as His sovereign and
creative power, His goodness, His faithfulness, etc. Peace and rest filled my
heart and I began to praise Him out of my heart for His greatness and His goodness to me.
I spent a week in the hospital at that time because of an enlarged prostate and a serious UTI. I can testify that I never down, depressed or despondent. The reason was that I made myself continually meditate on God’s word. I went over His promises of answered prayer and promises of healing. I went over Scriptures describing His greatness and how there is nothing impossible with Him.
My heart was daily nourished and encouraged as I meditated on His word. As a result, I returned home with my faith stronger than
when I had gone into the hospital. I am completely well and after my last physical at the VA clinic the doctor told me that I was rare because at my age (79) I did not require any medication.
Now, I am sure someone is asking, "How do I start?" Find promises in Bible that are appropriate to your situation and memorize them. As a starter, I would suggest Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 23 and John 14:27. An easy way to memorize is to write a passage on a 3 x 5 card and carry it with you throughout the day. At every opportunity, pull it out of your pocket or purse and read it. Read it aloud if possible. By the end of the day it will be etched in your memory.
Meditating on God's word will build your faith, and I leave you with the words of Jesus in John 15:7, If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it will be done for you.
Dr. Eddie Hyatt holds earned degrees in Bible, theology and ministry. He has been in full time ministry for over 50 years and is the author of over 30 books including his latest, America's Reawakening, which is available from Amazon and his website at https://eddiehyatt.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment